1. Get shopping & eating at the Ben Thanh Night Market
Where? Intersection of Le Loi, Ham Nghi, Tran Hung Dao Avenues and Le Lai Street
Why go? Amazing food and crazy atmosphere – there’s a really big mix of tourists and locals, too.
How long will you need? Don’t bother getting there before 7pm for the night market – then, stay all night!
Cost? Food and trinkets are all super cheap
– Ben Thanh Night Market, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2. Take a day trip to head out and crawl through the Cu Chi Tunnels
Where? There are heaps of providers for these tours, but I’ve done it with Buffalo Tours twice now, and wouldn’t go with anyone else!
Why go? The Cu Chi Tunnels are an absolutely enormous network of interconnecting tunnels underground in the Cu Chi region of Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). The tunnels were used by the Viet Cong soldiers in the 1960s as communication and supply routes, as well as hiding spots and living quarters, which the area above ground was being bombed and razed. And seeing it first hand can’t even come close to reading about it.
How long will you need? The tour I did was a half day (morning)
Cost? Private tour for US$52.00 per person, or small group tour for US$40.00 per person
– TBT: Crawling through the Cu Chi Tunnels in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3. Take in an incredible view of the city from EON51 Café at the Bitexco Financial Tower
Where? 36 Ho Tung Mau Street, Ben Nghe ward, District 1
Why go? Because the view is incredible, but it’s much cheaper to buy drinks at the café than it is for a ticket at the viewing platform!
How long will you need? An hour or so – it’s a great break from the heat and craziness in the city below.
Cost? We paid around AUD$18.00 for a fresh coconut and a fresh mango juice
– View from the top: EON 51 at Bitexco Financial Tower, Saigon, Vietnam
4. Ignore the stuffy tourists and eat the street food!
Why go? So many people will turn their noses up at the idea of eating street food in South East Asia; those people need to get their heads checked, because some of the best food in the city comes from the street!
Cost? Everything is cheap, which means you can stuff yourself silly!
– Eating the city: Saigon, Vietnam
5. Join the locals and slow down with some coffee, bird song and people watching at Tao Dan Park bird café
Where? 110Bis, Nguyễn Du, Bến Thành, District 1
Why go? Each morning, from around 6am until around 8 or 9am, a corner of the park becomes a meeting place for men around 30 – 50 years of age, and their pet birds. Which makes it the most peaceful space set among beautiful gardens and full of birdsong.
How long will you need? Get there early and stay until the crowds start to drift off
Cost? So cheap I can’t even remember!!
– Tea time: Tao Dan Park Bird Cafe, Saigon, Vietnam