Yes, you read the post title correctly; no, it’s not a typo. Cheeseburger pasta. As in, pasta that magically tastes like a cheeseburger.
I was not aware this was a thing until a few weeks ago when a friend said she was making it for dinner, and given how much I love a good cheeseburger, I obviously had to give it a go. I had low expectations because I didn’t want to be disappointed, but I can happily say that I ended up with a huge bowl of pasta that tasted exactly like a good old cheesy… amazing!
I asked my (admittedly few) Instagram followers if they’d be interested in seeing the recipe, and the overwhelming response was “YES!” so here it is, slightly tweaked from the original my friend shared.
INGREDIENTS (makes 6 serves):
– 500g beef mince
– 1 small brown onion, thinly sliced – or, if you’re fructose intolerant like me, 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
– 400g dry macaroni or other small pasta
– 3 cups beef or vegetable stock
– 400g tin of diced tomatoes
– 3/4 cup ketchup
– 1/3 cup yellow mustard
– 1-2 cups (depending how cheesy you want it) grated cheddar or strong tasty cheese
– diced tomato, red onion, and/or pickles, to serve
1. Heat a large, non-stick pot over medium heat and spray with cooking oil. Add the mince and onion, and cook until the onion softens and the beef browns.
2. Add the pasta, stock and tinned tomatoes, give it a good stir and bring to a simmer until the pasta is cooked through (the liquid should be almost completely absorbed by that point).
3. Take the pot off the heat and stir in the ketchup, mustard and cheese, until the cheese is melted through.
4. Serve it up and top with the diced tomato, onion and pickles. Close your eyes and imagine it’s a cheeseburger. It basically is.