Back at Alcatraz today for another set of photos, this time taken within the prison and grounds themselves. And some random facts about the island which I found out from the absolutely brilliant audio tour while I was there and from …
– The food at Alcatraz was considered to be the best in the entire prison system.
– There were only 28 deaths on the island – 5 suicides, 8 murders and 15 deaths of natural causes/illnesses.
– Alcatraz held 302 prisoners at it’s peak capacity, and an average of 260.
– Even after a prisoner had died, their lifeless corpses were still chained and shackled for removal from the island.
– The families of the guards that lived on the island had surprisingly good facilities on hand, like a gelateria, bowling alley and convenience store.