AND it doesn’t taste like crap!!! Who’d have thought?! Honestly, special dietary requirements can be a pain in the ass, but they don’t have to mean sacrifices in taste. I know those of you who are afflicted with conditions like gluten and lactose intolerance have probably heard it all before, but I swear this cake tastes really good!
But seriously, I found the original recipe on Secret Squirrel Food and thought I might give it a try – a few standard Jess modifications, and here’s what I came up with…
To make 4 of these mini bundles of chocolatey love:
– 2 tbsp almond or hazelnut meal
– 2 tbsp gluten free plain flour
– 1 tbsp cocoa or raw cacao powder (depending on your requirements)
– 1 tsp gluten free or regular baking powder
– 1 egg, whisked
– 2 tsp oil of choice (I used vegetable oil because it’s what I had at the time. I think any nut oil, like maybe coconut oil, would work well though)
– 2 tbsp maple syrup
– ¼ cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another.
Add the wet to the dry and mix well until totally combined.
Divide the mixture into 4 silicone cupcake cases.
Microwave for 2 – 3 minutes (microwave dependent – mine took 2½ minutes until they were firm on top and cooked through without being dry or rubbery).
Top with your choice of deliciousness – I like a bit of Mayvers crunchy peanut butter, cacao nibs and a tiny sprinkle of sea salt flakes.