Before I left my husband at home and flew off to Vietnam with my sister, I figured the least I could do was leave him behind with a pile of cookies. Peanut butter + chocolate = happiness. It’s pretty simple, really.
You’re going to need…
– 120g butter, chopped and slightly softened
– ⅓ cup castor sugar
– ⅓ cup brown sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 large egg, at room temperature
– 1¾ cup self raising flour
– 1 cup chocolate chips
– 100g crunchy peanut butter
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line an oven tray with non-stick baking paper.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugars for a few minutes, until pale and creamy.
3. Next, beat in the vanilla and egg until completely combined. Note: there are two eggs in my bowl instead of one because I’m a fatty and made a double batch. Also, if you have a dog who is addicted to butter like mine is, they may be hiding under a dish towel waiting for the mixture to spurt out from the bowl. Beware.
4. Sift the flour into the mixture and mix with a spoon to form a thick cookie dough, then stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Lastly, microwave the peanut butter for 30 seconds, then fold it into the cookie dough – you’re aiming more for peanut butter swirls than blending it into the dough completely.
6. Roll tablespoon pieces of dough into balls and flatten them a little, placing them on the tray spaced out a little.
7. Bake them for 12-15min, until they’re just golden. Let them cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
8. Eat. Lots of them. Now.